Friday, September 28, 2007

Day 26-The Long and Winding Road

I have not had any two of my drive days be even remotely similar. But today proved to be the most hectic yet. I did the driving solo today and thus had to do all the rest stops, having to keep up with everyone. So, that became quite stressful at one point, but all's well that ends well, right? Now I am just thankful that the day has ended and can look forward to tomorrow's ride to San Francisco! We are staying at another church here in Manteca, which is the first good-sized town we have stayed in since we crossed into California. That being said, many of us enjoyed our first In-N-Out Burger of the trip. For Rambeau, it was his first ever. The burgers were quite delicious with a shake to wash it down after a hard day's drive.

The ride today looked like a good one. The day began with all downhill riding as we were still losing elevation out of Yosemite. Within the first 25 miles, there was a fairly steep, long and winding descent that made me wish I was riding so badly. At the first rest stop, everyone arrived with a smile plastered on their faces. I am not sure whether it was a result of the fun they had on the crazy descent or the wind from going so quickly blowing back their cheeks. I was quite envious. Driving the van with trailer in tow around those curves was much more stressful than it would be to fly around the curves with Vanessa. Oh well.

After the second rest stop, we passed through the town of Oakdale where many riders stopped to eat and/or get a drink, so everyone was pretty spread out the rest of the day. There was not really a third rest stop but rather I found the riders as I drove down the road and stopped to see if they needed/wanted any food or drinks.

We were treated to showers at the homes of different members of the church where we are staying, which was very generous of them and greatly appreciated. Our host also brought us KFC for dinner, along with more apricots than we can ever hope to eat before they spoil (though that won't stop me from trying). Today, the bulk of my diet has consisted of fast food: Carl's Jr., In-N-Out, and KFC. I am proud to be an American.

Tomorrow we ride into San Francisco. I am very much looking forward to our stay, and our 2 days off! We will be staying in Marin County, so I am guessing we will be very comfortable. I have been to San Francisco two or three times but have never before seen the Golden Gate Bridge. Hopefully, the weather will be more forgiving this time. Hell, I rode my bike here, so I think I deserve it. This will be the first big city we have hit on the trip and the first time to see the ocean as well. I cannot even begin to express how excited I am!I look forward to many a good time these next three days, and some much needed time away from Vanessa. It's nothing personal, I swear.

Peace and Love,
Trailer Tito


No comments: