Saturday, August 09, 2008

Day 29-Three Fog Free Days in San Francisco? Unheard of!

Rest day numer dos in the Golden City

After a bit of a crazy night in Berkele, we were off to a late start this morning, waking up at 10:30, by far the latest of any day on the trip thus far. We were greeted once again by an incredible spread of homemade, mostly organic breakfast foods, including homemade granola that was to die for, and more fresh fruit than I could imagine. God, I love California. The members of the Marin Rowing Association have been absolutely incredible hosts, having us here for three nights and taking such amazing care of us has been a blessing!

We took our time getting ready for the day and figuring out what to do before finally taking the van to the north side of the Golden Gate, where we parked and walked across into the city. From there, I walked a few miles to the nearest bus station, hopped on a bus, and rode it to the nearest BART station, where I took the BART under the bay to Berkeley.

Once in Berkeley, I met up with Onita, a high school friend who now goes to school in Berkeley. We ate at a delicious restaurant named Slurp on Telegraph Avenue that my mom and I ate at during my first visit to Berkeley. They make all their own noodles and the prices are fairly cheap, though some may not agree with me on the delicious factor. Oh well. After eating, we walked around the town a bit as Onita gave me a tour and showed me where she lives before I ended up up at a coffee house to use the internet.

Afterwards, Onita's boyfriend ever so graciously gave me a ride back to the boathouse, where I am currently. As everyone has been arriving back tonight from their various adventures around San Francisco, it feels weird because we were apart for no more than 48 hours, but after being together non-stop for the past month, it feels like we were separated for a week. Everyone seems well rested, rejuvenated, and ready to get back on our bikes and back to work. I think this stop has been just what we needed.

Tomorrow we ride to Tomales, CA as we embark on what seems like a whole new leg of the trip. I had every city until San Francisco memorized for the most part, and now I do not know where we go after tomorrow even, but I am not too concerned. It truly feels like an adventure! We will be on Highway 1, the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) for a while beginning tomorrow, snaking along the gorgeous Northern California Coast. Then, we will ride Highway 101 along the Oregon Coast, which I know from experience, is spectacular! The next couple of weeks could be the best of the trip!

Peace and Love,
Master Miguel

No comments: