Monday, November 20, 2006

Why I Ride

Today I woke up to an e-mail from one of the recipients of my letters, Mr. Peter Niccum. He is one of the main ways in which I have been affected by cancer. Admittedly, I still know very little about Cancer and it has not had a huge effect on myself, but his story has been one that my mom has kept me updated on throughout the years, and I hope that my efforts in this ride help Mr. Niccumand others like him and prevents others from having the same experience. Truth be told, I was initially wanted to do the ride purely for the experience of riding a bike from Austin to Alaska, and the fact that it benefits cancer research was just another motivating factor in making me want to do the ride. But, I tell everyone I talk to about what I am doing, and when they hear about it, they tell me some of the most incredible stories I have ever heard. Some of the tales I have heard just in the past month have really touched me and I think that by the time we begin pedaling from Austin, this trip will have a completely different meaning for me, and probably for the rest of my team as well. It is all very exciting right now.

Anyway, I wanted to share Mr. Niccum's story so that others may know what motivates me to ride. I talk enough as it is though, so I will give you the story in his own word, directly from his e-mail. It is people like Mr. Niccum who make me feel as though riding to Alaska is not enough, and make me want to do more to help those who have been diagnosed:

"Hi Miguel,

We got your request and put a check in the mail today. This is a fantastic effort on your part and I applaud you for your humanity.

I am one of your friends whose life has been touched by cancer. I was diagnosed with Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma April 26, 2000. In the ensuing six years I have had three different chemotherapies and two rounds of radiation. I have been on an experimental drug called Depsi Peptide, administered by the National Cancer Institute, since March of 2001. I hold the record for most Depsi Peptide taken by a person. That is 67 chemotherapy cycles with 134 doses of the drug.

My cancer is sadly not cureable but it is treatable. I expect to live for quite a while longer but I will have to be treated for the rest of my life unless a cure is found. I have suffered many indignities in conjunction with this disease but it has its positives. Our family has never been closer and I attach greater value to every day I have. The continuing friendships such as your parents provide massive support to all of us. I had to retire from my full-time job several years ago. However, I have begun teaching History and Government at Campbell University part-time.

We are all grateful to you for what you are doing. Feel free to use my story to help you solicit donations. Keep us posted.

Sincerely,

Peter Niccum"

No comments: