Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Day 0-On the Road At Last

Austin, TX to Cedar Park, TX
Distance: 30.76 miles
Time: 2:33:49
Top Speed: 57.4 mph
Average Speed: 12.0 mph

I still remember being interviewed for the Texas 4000 quite vividly. Sitting down with two '06 riders wearing their jerseys, feeling intimidated because they had done something so much greater than I could have ever hoped to achieve. I had no idea what I was supposed to say in an interview for a 4,500 mile bicycle trip to defeat a disease I knew next to nothing about other than the fact that it is bad.

10 months later, here I am, laying on a sleeping bag in the grass, in front of Cedar Park High School next to a somewhat large road. It is undoubtedly the most odd of all the places I have camped. However, I have no idea what this summer has in store for me, so I have the feeling that this will son change as I can only imagine the places we will be sleeping en route to Anchorage.

The past week has been mayhem to say the least as we made all the final preparations for the trip, trying to to eliminate as many unknowns as possible. As the semester dragged on, one could feel the tension and anxiety growing in the weekly meetings, especially in the last couple months. Needless to say, it is an immense relief to be on the road at last. Free from the shackles of society, sporting my week-old mohawk, wicked tan lines, and spandex, and I don't care how many people stare at me or what they think.

I took two weeks off at the end of the semester, only one of which was intentional. But then things got too crazy and I did not have the time or energy to ride. During those two weeks, I really started to freak myself out, wondering what I was doing and if it was something I really wanted to do. But then, upon returning to Austin, I went for a nice short ride to get myself back on the bike, and it only took 15 miles before I remembered how much I love to ride and how amazing this summer promises to be, regardless of what happens.

Today we spent a large amount of time with family and friends on the steps of the UT tower, one of my favorite places in Texas, from about noon 'til 2 PM. After much sitting around and waiting, we departed, heading south to the capitol, circling it twice, and then heading off for Cedar Park. The ride was pretty easy, around 30 miles, with a few hills that got the blood pumping. Otherwise, we took it pretty easy, enjoying the glory of ridig in a group of 40 riders, practically owning the streets, knowing we were beginning something that is sure to change our lives forever, but not knowing how it will do so. Also, for the first time ever, we had several people honk at us in encouragement, rather than the usual angry motorists telling us to get out of the way or just expressing how they truly feel about cyclists, with no reasoning to back it up.

Tomorrow is our ATLAS ride from here in Cedar Park to Lampasas. It is officially the first leg of our trip and it open to anyone who wishes to participate. We end the ride at a BBQ music with live music from Rhett Butler. Perhaps Scarlett will be there as well... On Sunday we have a grueling ride around 125 miles, which I am not looking forward to. I think it will probably be one of the most difficult things I have ever done physically, so it should be interesting.

My phone has been off for many hours now, I have not checked my e-mail since Noon, I have no keys, and all my belongings for the summer fit into a 12"x12"x24" duffel bag, save my bike, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad. I love it.

Now it is time to sleep, something I have not done much of all week and most likely will not do much of tonight either as we must awaken early to prepare for the ATLAS ride.

For now, I leave you with the image of me emerging from a high school bathroom, wet cycling shorts in hand, with a mohawk and wet sleeveless shirt, walking through a hallway of mothers with their 8 year-old daughters at their dance recital dress rehearsal. The looks on their faces were priceless.

Until next time, Peace and Love,
Mighty Miguel

No comments: