Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Day 4-Driving For the Cure

Sweetwater, TX to Post, TX
Distance: 87.28 miles

Today, I drove. It made for an interesting day. It started off well and I thought it was going to be an easy day, but I was sorely mistaken. It all started when I tried to find a spot to set up my second rest stop, the third overall for the day as there are two drivers each day responsible for setting up rest stops every 18-20 miles, alternating between drivers. We are getting into very flat land here, and it is starting to look more and more like the desert, so there were not really any good places to have a rest stop on the side of the highway we were on. After much searching, I decided on the entrance to a ranch, the "Covered S Ranch" to be specific. I noticed that my water coolers were somewhat low, so I decided to drive down the dirt road to the ranch to see if I could use their hose. Right before I got to the house, I came up on a small horse/donkey who was standing in the middle of the road and would not move no matter how much I honked or yelled at it. So I went a little off road and went around him. I then parked the van at the gate and went to knock on the door. Nobody answered, so I decided I should leave. However, when I returned to the van, there were about six horses and the previously mentioned horse/donkey standing around, sniffing the van and trailer. I tried making noises to scare them off but it did not work. I then got in the van and honked at the horses and even moved the van as if I were going to run into the horses, but they were not to be moved. Instead, they stuck their heads in the window and began sniffing me. It was a cool experience, but I needed to get water and set up a rest stop for the riders as soon as possible. Finally, I escaped the curiosity of those beautiful animals, was able to fill up the water cooler, and went to set up the rest stop.

From there, the day got a little busy, running around, trying to support all the riders, but I will not bore you with the details. A group of 8 riders went to get some food in Snyder, TX on the way and ended up getting radio interviews on two different local stations this afternoon, which was awesome. Following the interviews, we were getting many more honks on the road, and the friendly kind at that.

We finally made it to post and set up in the First Baptist Church. We had somewhat of an impromptu hair styling party after dinner as Emily and Shelley buzzed their heads and Oleg got some sweet custom lightning bolts cut in the sides of his mohawk. Hopefully soon I will have a cool design in my mohawk to rival Oleg's. Oh, and I lied, Emily buzzed all of her head but the bangs and two tufts in the back of her head. She looked like a goth/gangsta, and it was quite interesting to say the least. Many laughs and good times were had. This summer continues to get better and better.

Peace and Love,
Mohawk Miggy

No comments: