Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Day 5-Riding to Raiderland

Post, TX to Lubbock, TX
Distance: 50.87 miles
Time: 3:11:08
Max Speed: 31.8 mph
Average Speed: 16.0 mph

As much as I thought a day of driving and rest would be awesome, I could not wait to get back on my bike. Poor Vanessa could not understand why she had to be put in the trailer all day. It took me a while to explain to her that it was not punishment, but rather something we all had to do for the good of the team. Driving sucks, to say the least, but it is essential to the success of this trip and everyone must have their turn.

Riding out of Post, heading to Lubbock, there was supposed to be a somewhat nasty climb up to the Caprock Escarpment. However, for one reason of another, be it the tailwind, or the very low grade, gradual climb we averaged about 20 mph for that entire section. Jordan and I even started riding pretty hard for a while. I lasted almost 15 minutes before I had to drop back. It was crazy how quickly my heart rate went back down though. I have really been focusing on keeping the lowest heart rate possible, particularly below 150 bpm, and the improvement in just one week is incredible. If I keep this up all summer, my heart will be in awesome shape.

At our first rest stop, we all got sausage biscuits generously donated by McDonald's, which was a nice treat. The rest of the ride went well, and we were looking to arrive in Lubbock much earlier than earlier expected. Oleg and I did a bit of a modified time trial where you go maximum effort for 30 minutes, but we were too close to Lubbock when we began and ran into construction, and then I got my second flat tire of the trip, blah.

The streets in Lubbock are very confusing, to say the least. It seems as though the entire city is a big grid, but the part where we were staying had many interruptions in the grid. We spent a little too much time trying to find our way to Steph's house where we were generously hosted for the night. Steph is a member of the Sierra team but unfortunately will not be able to do the ride this summer due to a medical condition. I feel so bad for her. But she plans on doing it next year and I am sure will be able to provide great insight to the 2008 team. Best of luck Steph!

The meal prepared for us by Steph's family and friends was to die for. There was some amazing pulled pork that was wonderfully tender and lightly seasoned, and some awesome salads. It is crazy how much you miss vegetables when you do not eat them regularly. After dinner, I got to meet up with my good friend John from Grapevine who is working in Lubbock for the summer. It was awesome to see him and spend time with him since I had not seen him since probably last October when I went up to Lubbock for the UT vs. Tech football game.

We had internet access for the first time on the trip at Steph's house, so everyone was excited to check e-mail and update blogs and what not. Though I am considerably behind on my blogging, so please forgive me. Now I retire to my sleeping bag and wonderful pad in Steph's backyard. Tomorrow we have another century (100 mile ride) and will be crossing our first border going into New Mexico!

Peace and Love,
Tailwind Tito

No comments: