Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Day 3-To West Texas

Coleman, TX to Sweetwater, TX
Distance: 85.67 miles
Time: 5:29:25
Max Speed: 38.3 mph
Average Speed: 14.3 mph

I am exhausted. At the same time, I have never had more fun than I am having right now. I need to go to bed seeing as I must wake up in four hours because I am driving tomorrow and my duties begin at 4:45 AM. Yikes!

Today's ride went well. It was mostly uphill the whole way, but never too steep, so it was very manageable. The worst part was definitely the road; it was very bumpy the entire way and caused my rear end to be very, very sore. Not to mention that I was already sore from yesterday's 130 mile ride. But I thoroughly enjoyed it. The highlight of the day was definitely a seemingly endless 3 mile climb that was pretty grueling. But at the top, or at least when it was less steep, the land opened up and there were wind-powered turbines as far as you could see across the plains. There were also oil pumps scattered amongst the monstrous turbines. It was the epitome of West Texas and the first real change of terrain/region we have seen.

Tonight we are staying in the gym of Sweetwater High School. It is the second night in a row we have had showers! How wonderful. Tomorrow is an 83 mile ride to Post, which I am disappointed about missing, but it will give me time to rest my shoulders, which are still sore, and my hip which began to hurt today.

Anyway, I must be off to bed. I will write more tomorrow. Wish me luck driving and setting up rest stops tomorrow. Hopefully I won't screw up terribly and make everyone hate me. That would suck.

Peace and Love,
Turbine Tito

No comments: