Thursday, July 05, 2007

Day 15-An Easy Day At Last

Shonto, AZ to Page, AZ
Distance: 66 miles

Drive day numero dos was a success. Everything went well, and there were no major issues. The only problem encountered was cleaning up the community center in Shonto and getting some food for rest stops, but all was taken care of. Speaking of getting food, I stopped at this market in a small town along the way in the middle of the Navajo Nation, and the owner of the store was a very, very kind lady. She donated ice, bread, fruit, and juice for us to use at our rest stops. I asked her if I could fill my water coolers at the store and she said that she could not do that at the store but instead kindly led me to her house across the parking lot to fill up the coolers with her own personal hose. I am continually amazed at the generosity we have been shown by the people we meet.

It was a short ride, so not much else happened between Shonto and Page. We did have some excellent watermelon at my second rest stop of the day which Emily had purchased at a roadside stand and I cut up to serve to the riders. The final stretch into Page was all downhill and most of the riders seemed to enjoy it, as they did the whole day for that matter.

Once we got into Page, we headed to the police station where we are currently, and then to a local Mexican food restaurant for some food and drinks. The people in the restaurant and friendly and we enjoyed ourselves. Following the restaurant, a few of us went to Lake Powell to go swimming and cool off for a bit. Lake Powell has to be one of the coolest, most beautiful lakes I have ever seen, and definitely the coolest man-made lake I have seen. The water was so blue, and contrasted beautifully with the red rocks through which it ran. We soaped up and jumped in, using the lake as our shower for the day, and then swam around and enjoyed the lake a bit before going to eat dinner.

We were served a wonderful roast beef, gravy, mashed potatoes, and veggies dinner in the Page Elks Lodge, which we all scarfed down. It was quite delicious. After dinner, we had our team meeting where Vitek and I served as Jordan's bodyguards/enforcers for comedic relief and safety purposes. Since then, we have been back at the police station, watching Mrs. Doubtfire and hanging out. Nothing else exciting has really happened, so I think it is bed time for me.

Tomorrow we ride to Kanab, UT, crossing another state border and ending the day by meeting the fabled Cowboy Ted. It promises to be an exciting day.

Peace and Love,
Maneuvering Miguelito

No comments: