Monday, July 23, 2007

Day 19-So Long Zion

Zion National Park to Dammeron Valley, UT
Distance: 58.50 miles
Time: 3:46:34
Max Speed: 42 mph
Average Speed: 15.5 mph

The website and all of our information said we would be going to Veyo, UT today. I still have not been to that town. Our final destination was the Dammeron Valley Volunteer Fire Station, and now I am actually at an amazing host house in Diamond Valley, which is back down the road we took into town a little ways. There are several volcanic domes surrounding the neighborhood where we are staying and there is one large, dormant volcano behind all the homes, not too far away. It is rather strange being so close to a volcano, but I suppose people would not live here if it were not safe.

Today's ride went well. We had to change the directions slightly to avoid riding on the interstate, but otherwise the ride went fairly smoothly. It was a nice descent out of Zion, which made it easier to leave as I wanted to stay there another week. It was mostly rolling hills the rest of the trip, until a few pretty good climbs at the end into Dammeron Valley. We hung out at the fire department for a while, all got to take showers, and got some tips on giving a massage from Jody, our registered masseuse. And, the best part of the day, Rachael trimmed my mohawk and gave me some sweet flames in the sides of my hair. It is pretty awesome, I must say. I love it. We told Rachael she should take pictures of all the haircuts she has done on this trip and she will have a nice portfolio if she ever wants to become a hairdresser.

After a very refreshing shower, we were treated to an amazing meal in the driveway of the fire station by members of the local community. There were many, many people there to meet us and listen to our presentation, which went quite well by the way. Many props to Elyse for the excellent job organizing the presentation and to everyone who presented it; it was a great improvement from our first presentation! The dinner was incredible, I stuffed myself silly, and the people were very friendly and interested in what we are doing. It was a very warm welcome into the community of Dammeron Valley.

After dinner, we were split up to go to our host family houses. Once again, Rambeau, Mike Glass, and I got the best host family of all. This time, we were joined by John instead of Oleg. Our family has a gorgeous house with a large, beautiful guest house with a bedroom, living room, kitchen, bathroom, and laundry facilities. It is incredible. We were treated to snacks and a case of water bottles in the fridge as well. And, best of all, they have a jacuzzi in their backyard! I went in the jacuzzi twice, which was absolutely heavenly on my legs. I am going to sleep so well tonight.

Tomorrow we head into Nevada for a stay in Caliente. Judging by the name, it should be a warm day tomorrow. We shall see though. For tonight, I am simply going to enjoy the effects of the hot tub as my legs feel as good as they have the entire trip.

Peace and Love,
Tubbin' Tito

No comments: