Monday, July 23, 2007

Day 22-A Long, Long Challenging Day

Rachel, NV to Tonopah, NV
Distance: 109.24 miles
Time: 8:25:48
Max Speed: 30.9 mph
Average Speed: 12.9 mph

Yesterday, I mentioned something about today's ride being one of the hardest/worst rides of our trip and I did not know how correct I would be. The day started off well with a long flat section leading to a bit of a climb, followed by a nice flat section for a while. From the looks of it, I thought it would be an easy day. And it was until the end.

I rode with Elyse for most of the ride. We had good time chatting and what not. It's always nice to have someone to keep you company while riding. We rode through what was supposed to be the town of Warm Springs but was really a handful of abandoned buildings. However, there was a warm spring that fed into a pool, which had also been abandoned and had a fence around it with a No Trespassing sign. We found a hole in the fence and a few people dipped their legs in the water. Mike Glass went for a swim and said he quite enjoyed it. We spent some time resting at the springs before a couple dust devils blew through and blew my helmet and sunglasses into the water, which were fun to fish out.

Following the warm springs, we got to climb a nice big hill which set the tone for the rest of the ride.
For the last 30 miles or so, the ride was pretty much up and down the whole way. It was more of the long, winding climbs for which Nevada is notorious in my mind. By the end of the ride, my knees were really beginning to hurt. The last stretch into town was a long, steady climb about 10 miles or so, which was the worst possible way to end the day's ride.

Tonight we are staying at the Ramada Inn here in Tonopah. For dinner, we had McDonald's, which is not going to be good for recovery after today's grueling ride. I have a feeling that is going to bite me in the butt. But honestly, I do not know of anywhere nearby to eat and am much to exhausted to go anywhere anyway. Let's just hope tomorrow's ride is better than today's and the McDonald's doesn't kill me between now and then.

Tomorrow we ride to Bendon, CA! I can't believe we are almost in California, much less that we rode our bikes here. It is such an awesome feeling. The border will be awesome. I think we have to go over a pass right next to the highest point in Nevada tomorrow just before the border, so I am looking forward to that...

Peace and Love,
Motel Miggy

No comments: